Saturday, June 27, 2009

Approaching the Lion

Continuing on this theme of "safe and good" I am reminded of my favorite Chronicle -- The Silver Chair -- in which Jill Pole, ravished by thirst, sees a babbling stream of clear, cold water but lying at the edge of the stream is the great lion Aslan. Aslan knows that Jill is thirsty and invites her to drink. Terrified of the lion, Jill asks, "Will you promise not to -- do anything to me, if I do come?" Aslan replies: "I make no promise." Often implied in many of my prayers is the same hope -- that I can drink from the living water without God doing anything to me. It's kind of like my strategy for shopping -- get in and get out. Richard Foster in his book on the spiritual disciplines said one simple thing about prayer that has forever altered my view of the practice: "To pray is to change." That altered the whole tenor of my conversation with God. My relationship with God was designed around the changes he wanted to make in me. To get to the cool water, I have to encounter the good, yet unsafe lion. Think of it: to pray is to enter the lion's den. We're likely to come out a little different than when we went in.

1 comment:

  1. To me prayer is a sort of alignment.

    Each time I insert a new ink cartridge into my printer there is an opportunity for alignment. Alignment is not mandatory--the printer will function without alignment; however, it is strongly recommended for maximum printing quality.

    Here's an example of using 8 points of The Lord's Prayer as a spiritual alignment. (The printer's alignment uses 8 points.)

    A: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
    B: Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done--on earth as it is in heaven.
    C: Give us this day--our daily bread
    D: Forgive us our debts as
    E: We forgive our debtors, and
    F: Lead us not into temptation, but
    G: Deliver us from evil for
    H: Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory - forever.

    ReplyDelete