Sunday, January 3, 2010

Goals

A friend of mine asked me the other day what goals I have for the New Year. I rattled off a few -- most of them having to do with leading the church. I went as far down the list with my friend as what seemed sufficient to justify myself. The more goals I had the more reason I had to exist.
It's a bad way to live. In fact, it's impossible. The last I checked justification is in God's hands and it's already been taken care of. That happened on the cross. The real issue is becoming now more like Christ. I'm justified, now what remains is to be sanctified.
Jesus said, "Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect." That's enough to keep me busy for a whole lot of New Years.

1 comment:

  1. Steve, I know I came late to this party, but I can't help wondering whether we ought to have sanctification goals either. Would "discipleship goals" be better? You know--see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, follow thee more nearly. That doesn't sound so bad.

    ReplyDelete