Tuesday, January 4, 2011

more thoughts on the new year

When the crew of the Dawn Treader are making their way toward the Dark Island and anticipate being swallowed by the imminent darkness, Drinian, the captain, wonders what use it would be to proceed into the uncertainty of the dark. Reepicheep, the valiant mouse, retorts:

Use? ... Use, Captain? If by use you mean filling our bellies or our purses, I confess it will be no use at all. So far as I know we did not sail to look for things useful but to seek honor and adventure. And here is as great an adventure as ever I heard of, and here, if we turn back, no little impeachment of all our honors.

I was asked this morning what my hopes were for the year. I rattled off a few tangible goals I hope to accomplish -- achievements I hope to claim by December 31. I can tell you though, adventure and honor were not at the top of my list. But they make for interesting aspirations, don't they? Have we thought about aligning our lives around some holy adventure and displays of Christian honor? Would that be enough for you to say at the end of the journey -- that it was a God-filled adventure and I displayed honor through it all? Life has to be more than filling our bellies and purses. Maybe that's why the one talent servant in Matthew 25 gets such harsh treatment when he confesses to the master that he simply buried his talent. Where's the adventure and honor in that?
So it's on into the darkness of the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment