Friday, February 11, 2011

Practiced Presence

Reading Brother Lawrence's "The Practice of the Presence of God" I was struck by his invitation to experience the continued presence of God. God is in our midst whether we want to pay attention or not. He seeks to be known. But do we really want to know him? Do we really wish to acknowledge his presence in every little corner of our lives?
Says Brother Lawrence: "We must know before we can love. In order to know God, we must often think of Him. And when we come to love Him, we shall then also think of Him often, for our heart will be with our treasure."
This cycle of invoked presence leading to knowledge leading to love of God can turn quickly into a healthy and vibrant pattern for life. But it begins, I suppose, with practicing the presence. Hard to do when you think life is supposed to be all about you!

2 comments:

  1. Brother Lawrence's practice of thinking of and loving God at all times, even while going about his daily routines, is something I admire and strive to emulate, but I find that helping others with food, money, time and love greatly multiplies the rewards of this practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Brother Lawrence had in mind that his life would be suffused by the presence of God. That has a lot in common with the "awareness of what is" that people talk about who practice meditation. I'm wondering whether a prayerful life, a life that attends to the neighbor--as Lois said--and attends "from" God, as Michael Polyani said, isn't worth our consideration

    I hope so. It's what I've been trying to do every since I was attracted to Brother Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete