Sunday, February 6, 2011

What I could be doing if I wasn't watching the Super Bowl

To study the life of C.S. Lewis is to be astounded by the amount of words he read, wrote, prayed, spoke and thought: 49 books written, 3 volumes of letters that stretch across half a book shelf, hours a week in prayer and worship, two meetings a week with the Inklings. The man was intelligent to be sure, but there has to be more to it than that. Or maybe the most intelligent thing about the man is how he chose to spend his time. It's hard to imagine Jack Lewis spending four hours on a Sunday night watching ANYTHING on TV, the least of which a sporting event. It makes me think of my use of discretionary time. I do a lot of mindless things with it. Not that every waking waking moment is supposed to be filled with thinking, reading and writing. The mind and spirit are called to rest - that is what Sabbath is about. Yet I suppose I could come up with more to offer the world if I wasn't always planting myself in front of some screen - movie, TV or computer. Maybe life would be more purposeful if we did more purposeful things with our time. Back to the Super Bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Or... you could be flying over the Superbowl (like we were) contemplating the comparison between the numerous private jets parked down on the tarmac versus the splendorous mountains we had earlier viewed braced against God's southwestern sky. CS Lewis would have approved this venture! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the other hand, he took a lot of long walks, with friends if he could find them and alone if not. You can't call that "time well spent" if productivity is the only criterion. Which is why Lewis didn't use it as the sole criterion and which is why any modern pastor from Pennsylvania ought not use it either.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect there was a great deal of productivity that came from those walks! Certainly more than from the super bowl half-time show! At least I'm guessing that to be the case.

    ReplyDelete